Tuesday, May 02, 2006

Life's Great Pleasures

Yesterday we thought about some of Life's disappointmentss. So in the interests of equal time today we're doing pleasures. Listing pleasures is easy. I really had to work hard to edit this list down to something reasonable... I could have gone on for a lot longer. Oh and I left "being a mom" off the list because that one just so far out weighs anything else it would be the first 2,943 entries on the list. Can you tell I love being a mom? Anyway, here some other pleasures to ponder:

** McDonald's Straws. Their straws feel strong and sturdy in your hand. They don't feel like cheap little throw-away straws. They inspire confindence. Also they are wide, but not too wide; just the right amount of Iced Tea can be consumed with each mouthful.

** A garden with fresh lavender.

** Clean sheets.

** Owning my own business. There was nothing better than being able to say, "I did this with my own two little hands."

** Driving a well made, well maintained, fine-tuned, high performance automobile. Zoom, Zoom!

** Picking your fruits and veggies in the garden at 4 PM and serving them for dinner at 5 PM. When I was a kid my grandma had a huge garden and nothing tasted better than her fresh corn, green beans, and tomatoes.

** Rites of Spring -- Live, sitting in the first row. You don't get a good view of the orchestra -- heck, you mostly see the violinist's nose hairs. But the power of the music is overwhelmingly beautiful! It just washes over you in waves of heart-stopping fury followed by delicate notes of beauty.

** Tannoy Churchill Speakers. They're as good as live. I cried when I heard Rites of Spring through them.

** Believing in Santa.

** A tickle fight with someone you love.

3 Comments:

Blogger Sonja Andrews said...

Okay Liz you had me until I got to Rites of Spring ... bleh. Ross will love that. That just wigs my head out ... I can't listen to it without my brain blowing up.

6:27 PM  
Blogger Liz said...

No that's dollars and it's a good price. Hey, I said I listened to a demo. I never said anything about actually buying them.

11:11 PM  
Blogger Liz said...

Oh and Abi (is that an acceptable nickname?) I'm sorry you don't like Rites of Spring... that has to be my single most favorite piece of music in the entire world, ever, nothing comes close, I’ve seen it preformed live three times and always in the first five rows. If I were ever stranded on a desert island that would be my #1 disk... beats any rock song ever made!

Frankly, the only piece of music that comes close IMHO is Bartok's Concerto for Orchestra. I also like Holt's Mars, Bringer of War but the rest of the planets are so wimpy I get bored.

I've been trying to figure out a way we could use Rites of Spring for church... but it's not exactly Eucharist music.

11:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home