Wednesday, April 19, 2006

THUD!

That thud is the sound of me fainting. Yesterday (well last night really) my brother, SIL, their four-year-old daughter, and their five month old twins came to visit me. They'll be staying for the rest of the week.

My sister-in-law had some surprising and shocking and a little distressing news for me. She's pregnant! Yes, this is the family that can barely support themselves. They are now a family of five living in a tiny two-bedroom apartment. It's totally cramped there. I don't know how they manage to survive in this small space with three kids.

This pregnancy came as a complete and total shock! Doctors have repeatedly told my SIL that she can not get pregnant on her own. When Rachel was born (their first) she underwent infertility treatments for over two years. Finally they took out a huge loan so they could go for IVF. This loan ended up putting them in bankruptcy, but who could complain when you looked at my beautiful little niece.

The twins were born because the place where my brother works changed insurance companies. The new insurance plan covered four attempts at IVF for no cost. The twins were conceived on the second attempt.

They had never even considered birth control. They've been married more than ten years and have never used birth control.

SURPRISE!

1 Comments:

Blogger kate said...

I've heard that lots and LOTS of things can be reversed once one actually becomes pregnant... Why do we listen to our doctors, anyway? ;)
I'll keep them in my prayers. Bless her heart -- infant twins and one on the way, not to mention an older one, must be one heckuva ride, money or no.

2:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home