Sunday, May 07, 2006

To sleep, perchance to dream... Heck, it’s highly over rated, anyway!

My sleep cycles are so messed up, I don't sleep anymore. Last night (or really this morning) I didn't even fall asleep until 8 AM. It's awful.

This isn't the first time. On work days, when it gets too close to wake-up time, I just don't get into bed (or I get out of bed) because if I should fall asleep, I won't make it to work when I have to. Yeah, I missed church this morning.

I'm not sure if this is emotional, organic, or a mix of both. But this is driving me crazy.

A while ago I wrote that they think I have narcolepsy. So they gave me this "wonder drug", Provigil. Now with Provigil I don't "close my eyes" when I need to be awake, but I'm not really sleeping any better when I need to be sleeping.

It leaves me with the oddest day-time sensation. I sometimes feel like a part of my brain is sleeping while other parts of my brain are functioning. However, I am noticing a serious degradation in the functioning of my brain. When I proof read my writing, I'm horrified at some of the mistakes I find. Sometimes, I try to read my writing (and I mean typed words here) and its total gibberish. I do my best to edit and double check all my work. But given the types of mistakes I'm finding, I have no confidence in the corrections -- if you know what I mean.

I just hope they get to the bottom of this before something really bad happens. I don't know what the "really bad" thing might be. But this just doesn't seem like a healthy nor safe way to live...

2 Comments:

Blogger Dreaming again said...

TECHNICALLY ... provigil isn't supposed to cause insomnia ..but it can ... and does.

Call your doc and maybe adjust your dose.
I had Provigil induced insomnia, as soon as we lowered it, sleep came. At least for a little while. Then, the lupus flared, and sleep disappeared again. Now, no ambien, no sleep ... no provigil because of my tremors ... and still no sleep. :(

Praying for you!

1:33 AM  
Blogger Liz said...

I don't know what to do anymore... On Sunday, once I woke up from my 8 AM nap I was wake until 1 or 2 AM Monday morning. Then when it was time to get up on Monday morning... I just couldn't. I had a headache from hell and my in-erds weren't working right (it was messy and disgusting and you don't want to know the details) and I just wanted to die. I ended up calling in sick and sleeping almost all of Monday day and Monday night and still being totally exchased today.

And I did all this sleeping on Monday after taking my daily dose of Provigal in futal attempt to go to work.

And as for cutting the dose... my doc just doubled it on a PRN basis because some days (like yesterday) the lower dose doesn't work. FYI, on Saturday I had only taken the lower 1/2 dose.

Oh how I wish I could take some Ambien... I've horded enough Ambien in my medicine chest to kill a horse, but my doc said not to take it because they don't know the root cause of my sleep disterbances and she's afraid for me to have downers too close to bed time. Heck she won't even let me take .5 mg of Ativan at bed time.

2:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home