Sunday, May 07, 2006

Hey Single Guys... A Dating Tip

Yesterday when I wrote about our trip to Clay Cafe, I forgot to mention one of the best-ever early dates you guys could ever use.

While we were painting our pottery, a youngish couple (late 20’s or early 30’s) came in and sat at our table to paint their own pieces. They were a good looking couple and they seemed like really sweet people, too.

I didn't mean to ease drop on their conversation, but the tables just aren't that big so I had no choice. After awhile I realized they were not yet a couple. There were on their second, third, or maybe fourth date at most.

Both the young lady and I were really impressed with this guy. I never would have thought of this as a date-place but it seemed to be working for both of us girls. Being the kind hearted person I am, I thought I would pass on the tip.

But before you jump into this with both feet, there are a few things you should be aware of:

1) You have to like kids (or at least you can't let them get under your skin.) While we were there, there were two birthday parties. The parties were kept apart from where the walk-in people were working, but you could hear the noise from the parties. Also, when you were picking your pieces and paints you had to mingle with all the little ones. But on the dating bonus point scale, you can win big if can interact in a fun and friendly way with the kids sitting at your table. I could tell his date was really digging it when he was chatting up Elizabeth. Oh and if the woman you are trying to woo happens to have children of her own... take it from a single mom, you'll be pretty sure to blow yourself off the bonus point scale if you take her kids and make it into a fun family activity.

2) You either have to be a good artist or be self confident enough to poke fun of the fact that you're not an artist. The fellow sitting with us was the self-confident, non-artist type and I have to say it was endearing. Frankly, I think if you're too good of an artist it might be intimidating unless she's a good artist, too.

3) However, you can't be too sarcastic about this activity nor can you be a disinterested bi-stander. If she's getting into the event and you're being sarcastic, it'll just ruin it for her. And if you're both sarcastic about it... well, maybe it's not the right thing for you guys to be doing so early in your relationship.

4) On the other hand, you have to realize this is kind of a camp activity. If you take it too seriously, you might be sending the wrong single as in, "I'm gay but pretending to be straight." or "I'm a jerk because everything I do is of the utmost importance and I'm pretentious, too."

But the guy sitting at our table seemed to be hitting it out of the ball park with is date and like I said, I was pretty impressed, too. So, when all you single guys achieve your goal -- whether it be marriage or uh... well, whatever your goal maybe. You can send a consulting fee my way.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home