Friday, May 05, 2006

Watch Out Donald Trump!

You may remember that when Gaby was still here Elizabeth wanted to sell Christmas Ornaments door to door. The ornaments were made out of paper napkins and paper clips (I think.) Elizabeth was really upset that Gaby wouldn’t let her go door-to-door.

Well, she’s at it again. This time she’s made drawings and photocopied art work. She wants to sell these things door to do. Each piece of art has a price on it. She sets the price based on how many colors she uses to make the pictures and how long it took her. Each piece of art work has a price between .29 cents and $1.39.

I'm not sure how she decided to set different prices for each piece of art, but she is taking Junior Achivement at school. Maybe it's working... Anyway...

Unlike Gaby, Andrea has taken Elizabeth door-to-door to sell her work. Elizabeth has made close to $2.00 with her art business. I almost died when she told me that she was tellin my neighbors that she was selling the art because "my mommy doesn't have enough money."

Now she wants to expand. She wants to make cookies and muffins and turn our house into a coffee shop. She thinks there is big business in coffee. While she's right on target with her product selection, I told her I was skeptical of this idea because it was a lot of work. She said I shouldn’t worry about that because she was going to make me the manager. In her words… she said that would be OK because the "managers don’t have to work. They just tell other people what to do."

When I didn’t give in on the coffee shop idea, she seemed to give up. She told me she wanted to have a party with her friends from school. I said that might be a nice idea and we could think about it. Well, the other night she started drawing the invitations to her party. Then she asked me to help her spell out some of the words that would be on the invitation. We went through time, place, etc. Then she said she wanted to put “cost” on the invitation.

Cost???

She said that she was going to charge her friends to come to the party so she could make some money.

Where does she get these ideas?

2 Comments:

Blogger kate said...

That's so hysterical. I could tell you any number of entrepreneurial stories from my own childhood. I wanted to sell anything I owned, pretty much. Or anything I could find. Or charge people to roller skate in our garage. Lemonade stands. You name it. ... Funny thing is, as an adult I DESPISE selling things. I would just about rather gnaw off my own arm than have to ask anyone to buy something from me. I just don't want to be an imposition... There's something sweet and innocent and unspoiled about such a lack of awareness about "what's proper" in a child. A fearlessness. I love it! They are the best salespeople... after all, who could say no to that girl?

2:46 PM  
Blogger Mike Croghan said...

When I was little (four or five?), my cousin and I went door-to-door down the street singing Christmas carols. In the middle of July. With cups held out, demanding payment for our memorable rendition of "Jingle Bells". Now my cousin Rich was always in trouble (still is). I was rarely in trouble (still fairly true). So when our mortified parents caught us, they immediately begain yelling at Rich for instigating the scheme. And he protested that it was all my idea. And he was telling the truth. :-)

3:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home