Tuesday, January 10, 2006

OK, now I'm pissed.



The on-going saga of the au pair has finally gotten to me. I've reached a point that -- for me -- is very rear. I'm angry and I'm pissed and don't get in my way, because I'm ready to let someone know about it.

As you know, Gaby is now married. Being the nice person that I am, I allowed her husband to move in with us. Since he came, Gaby has been cooking these elaborate dinners for him. Since he came, my kitchen has been a total pig sty. She leaves the stove covered with the cooked on bits of food splatters. The sink is always over flowing with dirty dishes. Food scraps sit in the sink because there are too many dishes to run the disposal. The counters are cluttered with dirty dishes and bits of food. It's gross.

I hardly ever cook. Gaby makes supper for Elizabeth (usually chicken nuggets, soup, rice, or pasta) and feeds her before I get home. If I come home right from work, I usually get in around 7 PM. A lot of nights I skip dinner, but if I do eat I have a bowl of cereal, a ham sandwich, or a frozen dinner. So for Elizabeth and me there is a pot two plates, and some silverware... if that.

The few times I've wanted to cook since the hubby moved in -- it seems that the mixing bowl, pan, or utensil I want to use is ALWAYS dirty in the sink. This past Saturday was especially bad. I spent the whole day working on a video for church. Around dinner time I heard Gaby, hubby, and a few friends come in. They were talking and laughing in the kitchen. Then I started to smell cooking food. Then I heard silverware clicking on plates... they had friends in for dinner. OK, so far I'm ok with this.

After a while it got really quiet downstairs. I realized that it was going on 8:30 and I hadn't eaten since breakfast. I went downstairs to make some dinner for me and Elizabeth. When I got to the kitchen door, I just stood there in total amazement. The kitchen had reached a new low in disgusting, dirty, pig sty. There was no way I could even make pasta or rice in that kitchen. I ended up taking Elizabeth out for McDonald's. Over the weekend, a few loads of dishes got done, but the kitchen never really got cleaned.

Tonight, I decided to make myself a more healthy dinner. After I ate I cleaned the kitchen from top to bottom. Gaby and hubby had made dinner and then gone out again without cleaning it. I decided I would clean it the way I wanted it to look and tell Gaby at breakfast that it had stay that way.

Well, about ten minutes ago Elizabeth asked me to go downstairs with her to get an apple. I went into my sparkling clean kitchen and turned on the light. That's when I saw it... a cockroach!!! There was a cockroach running across my clean counter. I almost cried. Then I got mad. I got really furious. One cockroach doesn't make an infestation... but one cockroach is one too many!

I almost went down to wake them up and yell at them right now. But I decided that was a little over the top. But just wait until morning! I'm out for blood now!

3 Comments:

Blogger WMS said...

I can understand that. At midnight, my dad balled out a couple who were renters in his house (and shared a kitchen) for less

9:09 AM  
Blogger Rebecca said...

I've had roommates like that and they weren't living in MY house. I'm amazed at how they'd take advantage of the situation. It's odd how people don't see their own messes. Or realize how much they bother others in shared spaces.

9:28 AM  
Blogger kate said...

GRRRRRRRRRRRRR.
I was mad for you until the cockroach appeared.
Now I'm REALLY mad for you! Because, just one? That's not very likely.
And she's getting paid for this?!!

4:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home