Wednesday, January 04, 2006

Update on the Ex



Last week or so I mentioned that the nursing home where my ex-mother-in-law is living wants to be appointed her legal guardian. The hearing was scheduled for tomorrow.

Well, when the ex finally got wind of this he suddenly became suicidal again and called emergency services to take him back to the hospital. But before calling the ambulance, he stopped to write me an email. He asked if I could fix his problem with the nursing home.

I agonized about this. I got a vibe that this trip to the hospital was not as serious as the others. While he clearly does have mental illness -- he's starting to learn how to work the system. If I fixed this problem for him... every time he hit a bump in the road I would get an email as he was being carted off by the men in white suits. However, it didn't seem fair to have a trial of such import without him present. So, I called the nursing home lawyer and asked for postponement on his behalf. The postponement was granted.

When I called to tell him the good news, I got a mixed reaction... "Oh great." he said flatly. Don't think I'll be getting to many more of those "please fix it" emails.

1 Comments:

Blogger kate said...

Nice solution!

11:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home