Monday, February 12, 2007

Hum. When did that happen?

Elizabeth has been sick for the last several days. This meant that we got to spend a lot more time together. It was kinda nice... except for the fact she felt miserable.

So we were talking about some of the girls in her class. She was telling me the strong points and weaknesses of each girl Then she got to Ghada (no, not our cat - a pseudonym.) Elizabeth tells me that Ghada is always pretending she's sick. And she always pretends it a big scary sickness - like a heart attack. Elizabeth goes on to say that she feels bad for Ghada. Ghada wants to be very popular, so Elizabeth thinks the little girl is faking these sicknesses so others will pay attention to her. Elizabeth couldn't decide if she should feel sorry for her and be angry at her for not telling the truth.

Now, I was pretty darned impressed that she figured out the girl needed attention and was using her fact sicknesses to get it. But THEN we had the following exchange:

M: Well, you shouldn't be too upset with Ghada. We all have fantasies that we accidentally let become too real sometimes. I know you've told a couple of good fantasies.
L: (laughing) Yeah, I guess I have.
M: Besides, she seems lonely. And we all want to be popular.
L: Oh no! Not me. I don't want to be popular.
M: (Shocked that my own daughter was disparaging my life-long dream to be the popular girl.) Why?
L: Well, when you're popular all the kids want to be with you even if they don't like you. And you have to spend a lot of time with all of those kids. Then you can't spend enough time with your real friends. I just want to have real friends.

Um. Gee. I'm wondering if she still needs me or what. When did my little baby grow up to be a wise, insightful, and darned cool person! I wish I had a friend like her when I was growing up.

1 Comments:

Blogger Dreaming again said...

I wanna be her when I grow up!

2:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home