Monday, May 15, 2006

Elizabeth wrote a poem and it's going to be published in her elementary school literary magazine. Here is the poem as she wrote it... note, she is still using what her teacher calls "magical spelling." I had never heard of magical spelling before, but according to her teacher, it's a new phase they let kids pass through because they're demanding more writing ability from them before they're able to memorize long lists of words. I like this concept of magical spelling... it's something I live by. Anyway here is Elizabeth's poem as written:

spring
By elizabeth

I see a batrfli
I hear brs sing
I smell flawrs
I touch a leef
I taste iec krem


Here is a transcription of the poem as read by Elizabeth:

spring
By elizabeth

I see a butterfly
I hear birds sing
I smell flowers
I touch a leaf
I taste ice cream


Not bad if you ask me... but then again I'm the author's mother!

3 Comments:

Blogger Dreaming again said...

I think it's beautiful! I didn't need the interpretation!

I do hope they end the magical spelling at an appropriate age ... in my sons school ...they are still allowing it on all writing assignments at all grade levels ... up to high school ... I kid you not! Sorry, but it is not ok for a 14 year old to use magical spelling!

I thought it was a fantastic idea when they told me about it ...when he was in first grade ... by the 4th grade, I was questioning it's validity ...by 7th grade, I was angry that my child still couldn't spell and they weren't helping him.

:(

12:10 AM  
Blogger Sonja Andrews said...

I knew what she was saying ... and she's only in kindergarten for heaven's sake!!! I think it's pretty good that she knows how to spell "see" "hear" "touch" "smell" and "taste"!

6:21 AM  
Blogger WMS said...

hhahaha... great writing! I was published in elementary for a poem of the same title! :) SPRING!

9:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home