Saturday, February 04, 2006

Random Thoughts on a Saturday Night



This evening I had to take Andrea (my new Au Pair) to an Au Pair / Host Family meeting. This was actually the first host family meeting that I've been too where I actually stayed and talked to people. I had to take Gaby to one of these shin-digs in the fall. But neither of us were too interested in staying so as soon as we signed the attendance sheet we slipped out the back.

Unlike Gaby, Andrea doesn't have any friends in the area so this meeting was a big deal for her. It was the perfect chance for her to start making some friends.

One of the things that really bugged me about this event was the title that I was given -- Host Mother. It sounds like some kind of religious / Catholic title. I know it's not a big deal, but it just seems kind of spooky to me. Every time someone called me a Host Mother, the hair on the back of my neck would stand up.

The other odd thing was the average age of the other Host Mothers. We were an old group. I think I was one of the youngest mothers there and I ain't no spring chicken. I talked to one Host Mother that was in her 50's and she has twin three-year-old boys. Poor thing. I can't imagine being 50-something and potty training.

But there were a lot of old ladies there. Some of them even had old-lady hair. You know those hair-dos that women get at the salon and then go back every week for a wash and set. EEK! I hate old lady hair. I guess it's because my mom has old lady hair and she pampers it so. When she was living with me and there was the slightest bit of moisture in the air, I had to run and get the car and bring it to her. I had to get double and triple wet because she couldn't get her hair wet in between her appointments.

I wonder why most of the Host Mothers were over-the-hill? I have a couple of theories. It could be that older mothers have the money and extra space in their home to support an au pair. Maybe older mothers want more individualized attention for their children. In my case, I opted for an au pair because my schedule is so insane a regular child care center couldn't cover my hours. I don't know... I wonder if the twenty families in my group is a random enough sample. If it is; has anyone studied this?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home