Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Prayers Please... Grandma Update

My Grandma isn't doing well. I'm not really sure what the cause of theoriginall bleeding was, but I guess it wasn't that serious. The problem now is that she has stopped eating. She has stopped drinking. Her bodily functions are slowing down. They were going to send her home from the hospital because the bleeding thing was taken care of (whatever it was.) But since she stopped eating, she was too weak to walk or even take care of her most basic needs. She has been moved from the hospital to a rehab area.

From my mom's accounts I can't tell if the doctor's have missed something or if she's just given up. I do know that if one is approaching death, they will tend to stop eating. My support / training from Hospice when taking care of my dad said that if it is the end of life, you shouldn't force the person to eat. It would just make them more uncomfortable. But, it's unclear if this is mental or physical for Grandma. We really don't know if this "end of life."

My grandma really isn't that old... she's in her late 70's. Considering that she's a great-grandma that's not old. Prior to the cancer she had a lot of life in her. She was full of chuztpa (that's my word of the day.) We are all really struggling to decide what to do next. Because Grandma is in a rehab center instead of a hospital - the doctors only see people once a week. My mom is trying to get the doctor to come sooner, but she isn't having a lot of luck.

Please pray that God gives my family wisdom in dealing with this situation and that His Will be done.

1 Comments:

Blogger Mike Croghan said...

Praying right now, Liz. Peace and strength and wisdom for you all.

9:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home