Tuesday, December 20, 2005

Almost as good as a pink slip at Christmas

I shouldn't be writing this right now... but every once in a while something bothers you so much you just have spill it out before it consumes you. Today is one of those days.

Today I got a letter in the mail from the Morris County Probation Services.

In my divorce settlement I agreed that for the first year Steve wouldn't have to pay me child support. In point of fact, he had to pay me some nominal fee like 10 bucks a month because the judge didn't like the idea of a setting a president that a parent would pay nothing. After the first year, the judge required Steve to pay the full amount of child support that was required under the law (NJ has a formula based on parental income and percentages and custody / visitation arrangements and stuff like that.) He said that parents have an obligation to support their children. My lawyer said we should make it a requirement that this payment be made through Probation Services because we both knew that Steve would never pay a penny if it were left up to him. This is not because he doesn't want to support Elizabeth -- but because he lacks the self discipline to manage finances in any way shape or form.

So that leads us to today and my letter. It seems that enough time has passed and the amount of money that Steve owes Elizabeth is so great that the probation department has decided to sue him for the amount he is in arrears and they are threatening to put him in jail. When I opened the letter I felt just awful. Given his current circumstance it seems like a really nasty thing.

For several hours I debated with myself. Should I do nothing and allow the hearing to proceed without intervention. Or, should I see if the whole thing could be postponed. I don't want probation services to close the case, because Elizabeth is entitled to that money. If nothing else I could put in a savings account for college. So many questions were flying through my head...

 How do I balance Elizabeth's rights with not hurting her father?
 What is the difference between responsibility and accountability?
 How does illness impact responsibility?
 Does mental illness let you off the hook?
 What is the right thing to do?
 What would Jesus do?

Well, I don't know if I came up with any answers, but I decided to call the probation officer in charge of his case and find out what my legal options were. It turns out that they can postpone the case for a few months without impacting Elizabeth’s rights. All I have to do is fax a note to the probation officer – which I’m planning on doing. But then the helpful probation officer went on to tell me about several cases he has. It turns out that the use of mental illness is a very popular scam for getting out of paying child support. He says he has several fathers who regularly have “vacations” in St. Clair’s every time their case comes up before a judge.

I’m not sure a stay in St. Clair’s is my idea of a vacation – having just been there for a visit over Thanksgiving. But the probation officer and his stories got me thinking. Steve was always a great liar. He had a lie for everything and sometimes -- even with the truth was harmless – he would lie just because he could. So how do I really know he’s as sick as he says he is? Of course he’s sick; he’s pretty darned sick to shoot the family pets at close range. But, is he too sick to work? I don’t know. I feel like I’m left with more questions than answers. It all boils down to this…

What is truth?

3 Comments:

Blogger Sonja Andrews said...

Oh sure Liz ... next thing I know you'll be all emerging and post modern on us!! ;-)

Seriously, tho ...

I'm thinking from your description of the house and his condition when you visited, that if he's faking it, he's right on the edge. Something about the way he talks to Elizabeth and what he's given to her and you seems genuine. But that's just my gut reaction and I don't even know the guy ... I just have your descriptions of him.

4:42 PM  
Blogger WMS said...

well, what would Jesus do? I don't like that question because he would die for the sins of Steve. And he would do it at 33 and he would do it on a cross. See? It's such a guilt-ridden question... I think somewhere you know in your gut the answer to a better question: "What do I feel a peace about doing?"

6:34 PM  
Blogger Liz said...

Sonja, I think you're right. I think deep down, he's not a bad person. And even if he is, what good does it do me to worry about. The probation officer just got to me yesterday.

Israel, what a profound response. I never thought of it like that. I always tried to think about what the living Jesus would have said or done. But you're right... hidden in there is the fact that he died for our sins and we can never do that for anyone.

But the question... What can I be at peace with... now that's a wonderful question that I really need to ask more often. THANK-YOU!

Liz

11:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home