Monday, January 23, 2006

The Au Pair Saga Continues…



Guess what! She’s pregnant! No snickering folks. But seriously… how many of you thought she was pregnant when they announced, “We’re getting married tomorrow?” Oh well. My grandma always said it takes nine months to make a baby, but the first one can come at anytime. But hey, that’s life.

So I got an email at work today from Gaby. SURPRISE! Her mom is coming from Columbia next week for a visit. I wonder how long she’s planning to stay. At least the newlyweds have finally given me an actual departure date for their move to Utah. Finally I can start to seriously plan for her replacement. Do you think mom’s intending to stay and help the kids move? Hmmm…

I’m having a very hard time with the agency trying to get a replacement. Today I was screaming into the phone so loudly that when I hung up my admin come into my office to see if I was alright. I’m not kidding! She had never seen me in such a state. She was afraid I was going to pop a blood vessel or something. These idiots want me to start over and pay all of their fees again… Three-hundred dollars to apply! Five-hundred dollars for the au pair to take educational credits! A full down-payment for year two! We’re not even half-way through year one! So, I started screaming. I threatened to call the State Attorney General’s office in two states. I threatened to call the Better Business Bureau! I said my lawyer would be contacting them! By the time I hung up they said they would wave the app fee, reimburse me for the education fee, and not require a down-payment. The only down-side is I now have a pounding headache.

3 Comments:

Blogger WMS said...

wow... I didn't know getting a new Au Pair was so hard. Let me know if I can do anything. :)

6:07 PM  
Blogger kate said...

Don't back down, lady.
Unfriggin'believable.

6:12 PM  
Blogger Mike Croghan said...

Hoo - I *hate* how so many businesses will only treat you fairly if you scream and yell at them. I'm way too much of a milquetoast to scream and yell at anybody on the other end of a phone. The furthest I can get is emphatic insistence. Sometimes that works.

Sorry you had to go through that. :-(

10:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home