Thursday, November 17, 2005

Small Moments



The other night I was having dinner with a group of friends. One of the women is pregnant with twins. When our hostess put a beautiful salad on the table, I overheard the dad-to-be say to his wife, "Don't fill up on that. You need lots of protein."

That same evening the host gave his son a bath and put him in his PJs so his wife could have time with the guests.

Another dad in our church grabs the diaper bag and changes his son's diaper without his wife asking.

At the Fourth of July party, I saw a dad take his toddler into the pool and have a really great time just playing with her.

When I was about seven weeks pregnant (the pregnancy was a mutual decision and a planned event) I was overwhelmed by the intensity of the morning sickness. In tears, I told my then husband that I didn't know if I could bear it. He turned to me with the biggest, happiest smile and a hopeful look and said, "It's not too late to get an abortion."

4 Comments:

Blogger Deanna said...

Oh, Liz. I read the first four paragraphs of your post with a growing glow in my heart... and the last paragraph brought me to tears. My heart breaks for Elizabeth's dad - he is missing so much.

But I can't agree with you more about the men in our church. We are blessed!

12:58 AM  
Blogger kate said...

I'm so sorry. I don't think men (or sometimes women) have the faintest clue how deeply they wound with those sorts of comments. They're all about the "solution" sometimes, aren't they ...
I am so glad your Elizabeth is here, that she's healthy, and that she is such a blessing to everyone around her. As are you. Thanks so much for your honesty.

10:23 AM  
Blogger [REDACTED] said...

And actually, from what I heard, the host gave his son and his son's friend a bath and put them both in their jammies so that BOTH moms could have time with each other. Pretty cool.

11:44 AM  
Blogger Liz said...

Schuyler, thanks for rubbing it in.

11:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home