Friday, June 02, 2006

Wild, Crazy, and TOTALLY impulsive!

Yesterday I did something that I've never, ever done before. Well, the truth is I've actually done this specific thing before, but never with the totally wild, unbridled impulsiveness as this.

Yesterday I woke up just like any other day. Elizabeth and I got dressed. I took her to school. I went to work. I had to go to a meeting in DC. A friend said we could drive together in her new car. She got one of those hybrid SUVs.

It was a nice car... Leather seats, sun roof, stereo, 4-wheel drive... a very nice car.

We got to talking about the reason she got it... in about three weeks our office will be permanently relocated to DC and with the Hybrid classification she can breeze down Rt. 66 in the morning. The we talked about the fact that I gave up my Au Pair and I have to be back home to pick up Elizabeth by a specific time. Then we talked about traffic and how long it would take and my heart grew heavy.

After our meeting we flew home down Rt. 66 at rush hour. I could see my non-clean- air route was backed up and standing still.

After picking up Elizabeth from school and bribing her with a fast-food dinner we headed off to a store to take a look at these hybrid SUV's. Turns out, there was one with my name on it. Yup! The general manager had been driving one the 06 models (and you can bet it has lots of features.) So, I bought it! Right there without a second thought.

YIKES! I'd never done that before... What do you mean, no comparison shopping... no pouring over safety ratings and MTBF stats or service records and costs... nope... the lure of Rt. 66 was more than I could stand...

So now I'm the proud owner of a Ford Escape Hybrid.

4 Comments:

Blogger Maggie said...

You should just move into the city.

5:46 PM  
Blogger Liz said...

uh... been there, done that... NO THANK-YOU!!! I HATE CITY LIVING!


(Being close enough to take of advantage of it is great... but living in the city bites the big one!)

9:50 PM  
Blogger Rebecca said...

congrats on the new car :)

1:29 AM  
Blogger kate said...

I congratulate you, but I'm wondering which Route 66 you live on. We've experienced some benefit, but not as massive a benefit as I'd banked on, by being HOV-abled.

4:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home